Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I have something to tell you...

Shhhh. I have a something to tell you. But, I'm going to keep you in suspense. All will be revealed. I promise. And, I hope, you'll find it's been worth the wait. That is, if you are still out there, reading this. I am the girl who cries wolf, with my promises of a new post, photos, recipes and food ideas. I hope when I can tell you  my secret, you'll understand why I have been too preoccupied to share with you.

I have many great photos to share - lots of delicious Belgian beers, and I'm going to get those on here. Really, I am.

Last night I roasted a pork tenderloin over a trivet of onion, garlic, carrot, celery, rosemary and pear. A little chicken stock added to the drippings and some cold butter (off the heat, of course) for body and it made a dynamite sauce to go with a perfectly cooked pork tenderloin - the most perfect I've ever cooked. After eating pork tenderloin at Mesa Grill, Bobby Flay's restaurant in Las Vegas (I know what you're thinking... and you can't believe I buy into that whole celebrity chef thing. BUT - the food.... incredible) at a perfect medium rare, I am no longer afraid to under-cook pork. I know you can safely enjoy pork at a nice medium temp, but that med-rare piece I had at Mesa Grill was a revelation. It's just better. In fact, it's a amazing. So, here's the secret friend - prob with a thermometer regularly, and get that bad boy out of the oven at 145 degrees. Let it rest. You'll be pleased with yourself.

To serve with this pork tenderloin I braised some cabbage with caramelized onion & pear, anise seed, some champagne vinegar and chicken stock. Also awesome. I feel particularly proud of this dinner, and I have no evidence of it. I was so eager to devour the thing I didn't photograph it.

Oh - do you  know I have a Twitter feed? Please read! @shanlmak

The next few months are going to bring with them lots of recipes for pate, rillets and terrines, cured meats and fish, condiments and pickles. And, I'm going to share those recipes and experiences here. There's a little bone for you... figured out my secret yet?

Till next time...

(hope you're all eating well)

1 comment:

  1. Since when do you tweet? Do I need to figure this whole twitter thing out?

    ReplyDelete